Friday, February 29, 2008

Therapy By Blogging

Thank you for reading, commenting and emailing me. I am deeply touched by your compassionate messages of support. You have helped me more than you can know.

These writings have been therapeutic for me. Here's how I benefit. When I'm anxious or emotional I write down the thought that is persisting. The act of writing forces me to stop everyting else and focus. It feels good then to flesh out the thought. It might take 15 minutes or as long as a couple of hours to finish. When I'm done with a blog entry I'm no longer preoccupied with the feeling and can usually let it go.

Hearing from people who can relate to what I've said helps me in another way. It alleviates my fear that my thoughts are abnormal or even worse, hysterical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job! I hope that if you get those anxious or emotiional feelings while working you will be able to take a few minutes even then to focus and write - you do that so creatively and informatively. Will you be able to walk, (or jog or run) to work on the good days?

Uncle Scott

Anonymous said...

Hello Laurie,

Your courageous documentation has become part of my therapy. A few weeks ago, my Dad was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer. You so eloquently put down in words how powerful Fear, Anxiety and Despair can effect a person's existence - all of the emotions I've been tring to avoid my whole life. You are an incredible inspiration and a wonderful reminder to all of us to embrace our kids, friends and family members. Laurie, please know I send my healing thoughts, prayers and love to you and your family. Thank you again for allowing us to witness your journey back to health. Sending a hug. Much love, Shelley