Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Counting Hairs

I've counted em. Only 3 left on the right and 5 left on the left. My eyelashes that is. WTF? This happens now? Six weeks AFTER finishing chemo? I remarked to John tonight that I look more like a chemo patient now than I did during treatment. He responded saying he didn't think so. I have color in my face now. I've also gained 4 pounds which fills out my face. I feel much better now too.

I am so much less self-conscious now of my hairless state so its a blessing that this didn't happen earlier.

I forget that I still look alot different than other people. I was in McDonalds last week having breakfast by myself. I was wearing a beanie hat, eating and reading a book called Pretty Is What Changes. Its such a good book (thank you Shar!). Halfway through my breakfast a young gal who was washing tables came up to me, said hello and asked me what I was reading. I told her the title and that it was a book about breast cancer. She responded asking "Is that what you have?". It was so sweet, the way she asked. I was taken aback by how empathetic and sincere she was. I told her yes, that I had breast cancer. She stopped her work and looked me right in the eye and said, I hope things turn out okay for you and you get well again. It felt so good to hear those kind caring words from a stranger.

No comments: