Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Janitors Say The Darndest Things


At Target we have a sweet, but most annoying janitor. Each morning, like clockwork, he comes to the pharmacy to have one of us come and unlock the pharmacy-only restroom so that he can clean it. I understand why, now, that management doesn't just give him a key. We would not feel comfortable using the restroom knowing that he has a key.

The pharmacist always gets very busy when the janitor asks to be let in, so its always me that goes out into the hallway behind the pharmacy to let him in. He's Italian, approximately 25 years old and speaks broken english.

He has a problem with talking too much, interrupting people's work and not getting his work done in a timely manner. You literally HAVE TO walk away while he is still talking to you. If not, you will still be there 20 minutes later looking for a way to politely end a conversation. He says things like "I wear cologne today and shave to make girls say aaaahhhhh he look good today". Also "I have sense of humor, right? You not need to be afraid of me".

A few weeks back I was letting him in the restroom. The door is really heavy so I was holding it open so that he could get his mop bucket rolled in. He turned around and said "High five"! I squeamishly put my hand up, so I didn't rudely leave him hanging, and he grabbed it and pulled me in the bathroom! I must have looked horrified because he let go and started in on another rendition of "I am funny, see? I have sense of humor". I left him in the dust and walked quickly back to the pharmacy.

So, last week I decided I'd had enough of the itchy wig and wore a baseball cap to work instead. When the Italian janitor came to the pharmacy, a new intern, who doesn't know yet how to duck when he comes around volunteered to let him in the bathroom to clean. Later, on my break I passed him in a hallway and acted like I didn't see him. He yelled after me, "Are you lady that works in Pharmacy"? I was caught, and turned halfway around. "Yes", I replied. He was puzzled and said "You not recognize me"? I grunted and tried to keep moving. Then he said "You look very different". "You shave head"? I didn't want prolong the converstation so I said yes. Then he dropped the truth bomb. "You much prettier woman before". "Before you look like woman, now you look like girl, or boy".

Ha ha! He's right, but jeez!

Here's me today, 8 weeks post chemo, with my wig and without it.


3 comments:

Montana1 said...

Thatza funny story, pharmacy lady. I lika the way you write. Ciao.

Anonymous said...

Picante Sauce - ROFL! OMG! I think you look pretty with or without! As always! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a photo I chanced upon the other night of you at about 6 months of age. Your hair was blond,fine and not much longer than now. You were very cute with your frilly pink dress your mom dressed you in for the picture as you are now, "pretty pharmacy lady"
Love, Dad.