Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tough Enough?

Nine days out from my third chemo treatment and I’m still feeling fatigued. After the first two I sprang back to life inside of a week.

The third treatment was different in another way also. I experienced the most searing headache I’ve ever had. It happened three days after chemo. The ache started building in the morning at the back of my neck. By mid-day I was taking extra strength Tylenol and getting relief. Went to bed with a new dose of Tylenol however it wasn’t completely dulling the pain. I woke at 4 am with a pulsing headache. I managed to get up and take more Tylenol but walking made my heart beat faster which caused more pain. I layed in bed afraid to move or talk. Nausea had set in. I woke John because I was frightened and did not know what else to do. I was afraid that it would not go away. He massaged my neck but unfortunately the touch was too much and made me feel worse. Finally, at five, I was able to turn on my side and fall asleep.

I was concerned enough to talk to Dr. Schmidt about it when I went in for blood counts a couple days ago. A side effect of Zofran (my primary anti-nausea drug) is headache. She has prescribed an alternative anti-nausea med for me to take next chemo.

I also asked Dr. Schmidt if there have been any studies that show the benefit of having six Cytoxan/Taxotere (C/T) treatments versus four. I have been reading and posting with other women undergoing C/T treatment on a breastcancer.org message board. Of all the women on the board there is only one other who is getting six treatments, like myself. The rest are receiving only four. Her doctor is giving her six because she has had her cancer recur. Unfortunately there are no statistics available to answer my question. Dr. Schmidt is erring on the side of caution and listening to her intuition with my treatment plan of six.

I have to admit, I am worried about how difficult the next three treatments will be.

3 comments:

Unpopular Guy said...

Oh baby. I know that the treatments are getting more difficult. But I will be right next to you the whole way. And, I promise, before you know it, your hair will be growing back, your strength will be returning, and spring will be here again. We have so much to look forward to! I love you!

Johnny

Kirk said...

Laurie
Finally was able to open your blog...technical difficulties....or maybe old age. Sad to hear of the "bumbling RN". Sounds like a recent grad...they do not get enough clinical experience these days. I will cast about here in ATL to see if there are any new clinical trials for your type of breast cancer, although it sounds like your oncologist is on top of things.Will you likely have radiation as well, if so when?
Uncle Kirk

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for your last chemo... we will have a big ol' party.. okay, maybe just a "YES" and "we are OUTTA here" when you are done. What a relief that will be! I hope you know how many people are cheering you on each day when they read this. I'm very proud to have a big Sister like you :) Love you Lauralie.