Monday, October 20, 2008

6 Month Checkup

So far so good! Had my checkup with Dr Schmidt last wednesday and my physical exam and tumor markers both brought good news. I should hear about the results of my chest xray today. They will compare the xray taken thursday with one taken in July. If anything looks fishy Dr Schmidt will order an MRI. Whew! I can relax with that good news.

I found out that my iron level has plummeted down into the 20s which makes me a little anemic. My iron level was up in the low 100s in July. Usually the cause is bleeding somewhere in the stomach or colon. Bleeding can be caused by something innoculous like a small blood vessel that needs to be cauterized, an ulcer or something more serious like colon cancer. So Laurie gets to experience a colonoscopy soon to look for the problem and fix it. I believe it will not be serious and easily fixable.

Anyone had a colonoscopy? Does it hurt? What kind of sedation did you have? Comment or email me okay?

I'll be back with xray results. Thanks for checking in on me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Picante Sauce - I have had a colonoscopy, they do sedate you, so you will be totally out. It doesn't hurt, as far as I remember, and it didn't hurt after either. I actually woke up during mine (Apparentely I have a high tolerance for pain, they tell me!) and I remember seeing the tv screen in front of me and I was on my side, and I apparently asked them what all that green stuff was, and they said that must be the green squall you've been drinking and it is digesting... You will do fine, its just the thought of it that is bad. I am thinking about you always. See you at the next Griz game! Go Cats!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the info Gen. I hope I don't wake up during the procedure! yikes