Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One Year Since Cancer Took Over

One year ago I was petrified. Not really from the darn good chance that I had cancer. I had had a suspicious mammogram which called for a followup mammogram at the hospital. That second mammogram caused a stir. I was taken immediately for an ultrasound. Then scheduled for biopsies. One year ago today I was much more scared of the biopsies than of the thought that I might have cancer.

What I couldn't imagine then, after being diagnosed, was that FIVE months later I would be FINISHED with surgery and chemo. Those five months however were at times horrific and grueling. I'm referring to emotionally horrific and grueling. The physical suffering was secondary. Thats how I remember it now.

Whats on my mind now? I hate my hair.

I had my first post-chemo haircut a couple weeks ago. Not a whole lot she could do but trim the sides and back to make it look somewhat like a style someone might choose.

I should be damn happy to have hair. I need to be slapped back to April when I had no hair. What happened to my gratitude?

In many ways I've moved on.

1 comment:

Unpopular Guy said...

Seriously?? I love your hair now! My god I wish I could loan you my eyes so you could see just how beautiful you are.

Wow... yum.