Friday, May 1, 2009

Bone Scan Results

My bone scan came back negative for cancer. This is a huge relief for me. Now I think of my rib pain as a result of surgery rather than wondering if it is a cause for alarm. One bit of not-so-good news is that I have bone degeration in my cervical spine since my last bone scan 18 months ago. Studies show that women taking Femara lose bone density at twice the rate of other women. I take extra calcium for this. My sister brought up a good point and that is that it would be a good ideal for me to start lifting weights to protect my bones. I agree and will look into getting some to use here at home.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm so glad you got a clean report -- and that it came quickly so you can enjoy your weekend.

Lori said...

Yea Laurie! Such great news! I just started lifting some light weights..it's kinda fun! Your blog is awesome btw...:)

Jean said...

I am so relieved that your scan was good. A bone density test I had last fall showed some degeneration in my spine as well. My calcium levels were low even though I had been supplementing it for years. It turned out that my Vitamin D levels were very low (which is necessary for the absorption of calcium). After a few months of high dose D and continuing supplements, my calcium levels have come back to normal. No follow-up bone density test yet, though. I love your blog -- thanks for keeping us posted.