Tuesday, February 5, 2008

All Together Now People, What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger

For me it’s What Scares The Shit Out Of You Will Eventually Become Boring, Even To You . My irrational fear of someone shoving a needle into one of my veins used to give me palpitations. The shaking, sweating, “I’d escape you if I weren’t so light-headed” response. At my second chemo the RN trying to start my IV asked me to take a Xanax before the next appointment. I was mentally relaxing as best I could but my veins were reacting to the Fight or Flight response I was having. The body constricts blood flow to the extremities giving your vital internal organs the power to make you run fast away from the equivalent of a charging cybertooth. My veins were flattening because of this vasoconstriction, each time she’d insert the catheter. I get bored with repetition however. When Christine started my IV for the third chemo I did not feel fear and I’m not very concerned about the next one.

No comments: