Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lets Go Ahead and Add Diabetes While We're At It

Got a call from the warmest person I know, my chemo nurse Christine. Some test results were in. She started with the good news. Results show that it doesn't appear as if any damage has been done to my heart from the chemo. My kidney and liver function is good. Right on! Happy to get this news. A worrysome issue is that my white blood cell count is low. She reminded me to avoid sick people and wash my hands alot, avoid cutting myself or touching my eyes etc etc etc because a cold can easily turn into pneumonia when your body does not have enough white blood cells to fight infection. Then she dropped the not-so-good news. Looks like Diabetes. I hadn't realized that chemo can cause Diabetes. Another side-effect I don't remember hearing about.

I'll take it. I have no problem with insulin injections and testing my blood and have already mostly cut white flour and sugar from my diet. I will miss fruit though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool Laur. I love the updates. I hope you feel better after you have vented!