Sunday, April 20, 2008

Adversity Does A Favor

Its easier to feel happy now than before I found out about the cancer. Coming face to face with despair changed the way I view myself. It gave me self worth.

I wonder, how many people would stop punishing themselves if they were given the chance to endure what they didn't think they could? Would they understand their value to others when the struggle ceases? Could they see the relief in their loved-ones eyes? Would they accept that they don't need to cover up their self-perceived flaws any longer? Would they understand that being themself is truely enough?

I don't wish hardship on anyone. I see others though who are a victim of hatred turned inward. All they know to do is bury their undeserved and unfounded shame by self-medicating. Some people overwork themselves to temporarily drown out the internal negative thoughts. Others hide away so as not to burden anyone. Too often alcohol or drugs are depended on to feel relief. Cancer pushed me down and through the difficult transformation from self-loathing to contentment. I wish that I could help others through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laurie!

What a revelation!

Through your honest journey over the last months, you've given me a pearls of wisdom - each life changing. I dare say that I'm not the Lone Ranger regarding that!

Keep your face toward the sun, Laurie. Heal and gain strength. You are coming 'round right & regaining your balance. Stay tuned in to the beautiful person you are!

I'm sending you a hug - if you close your eyes, you will feel it. It's long-lasting, so pull it out whenever you need one. :-)