Friday, May 16, 2008

Detached

My perspective is still skewed. My new normal I guess. Several times a day I find myself holding back from really engaging in life. It all still feels so temporary to me. As if the return to normalcy that I am experiencing now could be pulled out from under me at any moment.

I've let myself imagine, only once or twice since finishing chemo, finding evidence of disease in my body. A small lump in my chest or under my arm or in my neck. The ominous feeling of "knowing" it's bad news feels like heartburn in my chest and fear rises up from my stomach into my throat.

You see, I keep a part of me protected from this dreaded experience by not letting hope seep all the way into my heart. This protected part of me would not be shell-shocked by horrific news, if it were to occur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Picante Sauce - Thanks so much for your well wishes on Fridays blog! I did it! Again you are still one of the most corageous woman I am priviledged to know. Thanks so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I learn something knew from you everyday, for that I am grateful.