Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Crutch

Its time I come clean. Not only have I had unwavering support from family and friends through my cancer ordeal but I have also kept a fragile emotional state in check by taking antidepressants.

I started taking them several weeks after diagnosis. I take Lexapro in the morning and Trazodone just before bed. These wonderful medications have given me a fresh new perspective each day and the ability to sleep soundly every night. I think that without Lexapro I would have fallen prey to deep depression. I needed something to help with paralyzing fear and a steady decline in my ability to cope. I did not get much sleep during the nights before starting Trazodone. Thats when my terror-filled thoughts were at their most extreme.

I think I'm ready to taper off using the medications and learn to deal with fear on my own. I'm halfing my Lexapro dose as a start. I suspect you'll be reading more posts about fear and uncertainty as I begin dealing with life without crutches.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hey Laurie,

Don't be hard on yourself here. Crutches get people going. I've been taking medication to temper my anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, etc. for ten years now. It's been a change for the better for me -- completely.

We're all born with different wiring; I was born tightly wound!

I have certainly benefited from yoga, meditation, affirmations, etc., but when it comes down to it, I need a boost of serotonin too. Fortunately I don't have a chemical imbalance which causes diabetes or trigors asthma. But my meds do treat what physically ails me.

Love,

Leslie