Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Red Wine & Breast Cancer Recurrence

While perusing the breastcancer.org website today I found some good news. Its good news for me because I like to drink a glass or two of red wine before dinner. All I have ever hear prior to today was that red wine causes up to a 20% increase in the risk for cancer. So I have felt guilty for every glass I've raised since being diagnosed.

An interview on breastcancer.org answers questions on the subject of red wine consumption and breast cancer. There have been no studies show an increased risk of breast cancer recurrence for moderate red wine drinkers. Also on the good news front, there is scientific evidence that a phytochemical in grape skins (which is contained in red wine) inhibits aromatase, which lowers a woman's estrogen level. This is good news for estrogen-driven cancer like mine. In fact, I take a drug called Femara, to the tune of $350 dollars per month, that inhibits aromatase on a much stronger level.

Cheers! Drinking a little red wine actually starves estrogen lovin' cancer cells.

Laurie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll toast you and red wine tonight and again with you as soon as we can. Love you!!!!

Beanns37 said...

I have ER+ BC also, and every time I have a drink I feel guilty. Now maybe I'll just stick to red wine and I won't have to feel bad!