Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Body Without Estrogen

There is a downside to taking a prescription drug that keeps your body from creating estrogen. Since the cancer cells from my biopsies were tested and found to feed off estrogen, taking Femara is a no-brainer.

I've been on Femara for 8 weeks now and the side-effect of stiff and painful joints is spreading. Just this week my shoulders and elbows started aching when I sleep. I don't feel achy in those particular places during the day. My hips and ankles bother me the most during the day. Pain and stiffness in my hips, knees and ankles is most pronounced when getting out of bed.

Another interesting side effect is muscle soreness after exertion. I'm not talking about normal soreness I grew accustomed to during my 20+ years of running. Now, when I up my mileage a reasonable amount I am sore for 4 or 5 days. Prior to Femara, soreness only lasted the typical 48 hours. Scientific studies have found that estrogen plays a part in healing strained muscles.

I don't like to think about what shape my joints will be in after being on Femara for 5 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps biking would be less wearing on your joints than running? Love, Dad

Leslie said...

Your Dad makes a good point. Just on account of my own aging, I've started varying my exercise routine to include biking and walking.