Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chemo Brain

Its hard to take finals when you have chemo brain. Its difficult to start a new job when you have chemo brain. Here's Mayo Clinic's description of one's own personal preview of dementia.

For God's sake I have twenty years of experience, of learning, of conquering each task put before me. But with a fresh onslaught of chemo brain you can't trust that you will remember anything. Then if you're like me, you learn quickly how embarrasing it is and you break into a cold sweat thinking about when it will strike next. You can't blame your slowness on chemo brain to your new coworkers. You have to swallow your pride and ask them for help again.

I have learned humility through this experience. Had no other choice. I wanted to succeed because I really like doing something new. I don't know how long I will be satisfied doing this job and who knows where it will lead. Probably back into the IT world, using acquired knowledge about pharmacy workflow and software to leverage a position in a hospital. I will surely gravitate back to more responsibility at work. But for now, for the rest of this year at least, I'll enjoy learning from some really cool pharmacists.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Laurie,

I certainly don't mean to compare to chemobrain but I have recently learned of something called Momnesia (Will cut out the article from a magazine, I think he was trying to tell me something)! Everytime I leave a converstaion with someone, I think to myself "What was the end of the story so and so was telling me", or "Did I answer their question?" I can't remember a damn thing these days. Not that I was ever the most focused or organized, but geez, I feel like my brain has been zapped.

Your latest log reminded of this. Hope you are feeling well and love ya!

betts

Anonymous said...

Could this be closely related to Senior Citizen Brain?