Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cancer Markers Go Down!

I got good news from my oncologist. Tumor marker tests came back with levels less than my levels from 3 months ago. My CEA (Carcinoembryonic Antigen) level was at 5 and my CA 27-29 was at 15.

CA 27.29 is a protein that is normally produced by breast cells. In people with breast cancer, the CA 27-29 level can increase. The protein amount can rise with breast cancer tumor growth and fall with treatment. Normal range is 0 - 38.6.

The carcinoembryonic antigen is a protein that may be present in people with cancer, including breast cancer. The CEA Test measures the amount of this protein in your blood. CEA is normally detected in healthy adults. An adult non-smoker should be under 2.5 and a smoker should be under 5. I'm not a smoker. But if my oncologist is not worried my level being at 5 then then I'm not worried about it.

My physical exam was perfect and chest x-ray was clear.

So I plan to keep doing things that I believe help stave off cancer recurrence. Eating mostly greens, a wide range of vegetables, whole grains, nuts, berries, red wine, green tea, dark chocolate. Limiting meat consumption to salmon & scallops a few times a week. Limit dairy products to cheese (organic when possible) and eggs (from free range chickens with no added hormones), on occasion. Exercising for 45 mins every other day. My exercise quantity will increase as the weather gets warmer and I can resume running outside.

I also take Femara 2.5 mg, a multi-vitamin, 2000 IU's Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Fish oil and Flax oil capsules daily and calcium 3 times daily.

I am taking a class at the University of Montana. Its going to be over my head but I expect to learn alot from it regardless. Its called "Advanced Nutrition for Chronic Disease". We'll focus on how nutrition affects the diseases Diabetes and Cancer.

I can't wait to report back here with recent study findings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, its Wendy! So glad to hear that you are doing well. It is a process and you are moving thru it beautifully from where I sit. I wish you well in your endeavors and I look forward to hearing about the class. As always I wish you peace.

Montana1 said...

Laurie- Congratulations on yet another great report. I admire your discipline and stamina. Nice...

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your will power when it comes to nutrition... you've come a long way sista!!! :)